Thursday, November 29, 2012

Reviews

Shelly

I just finished reading "Worthless People". Don't know when I have identified more with a book. But it broke my heart - it's just too realistic and therefore painful! Seriously, I'd love a sequel but I truly appreciate the book. Thank you so much for writing it.
If anyone out there has not read Tim Wilson’s book "Worthless People", do yourself a favor - read it.

Kirkie Hunter-Dorsey

Bravo Tim! I have enjoyed your book "worthless people”! Interesting about the fence around the boarding school but also interesting about when Dave was talking to his "African parents" about fences. I hope you will write some more "fiction"! Wow the Lord has blessed you with the gift of words!

Ginna Scott

Tom & I received Tim's book, "worthless people" in the mail Saturday AM. by late night I was well into it! I could hardly wait for company to go home after dinner so dive back in … well worth the read. Tim, write another one!

Bill Teasdale

Just finished reading Tim Wilson’s book "worthless people". I highly recommend it! Well done, Skeeter!... err Rungu! :)

Cate Remme

Tim, I am still basking in the glow of Worthless People, please give us another book on way to a series. Your insights and delightful writing takes the reader out of ourselves and right back in at the same time. An outstanding published work Tim. We want more! I am so impressed by your insights into the ultimate conditions of human nature... and answering the question of who are the true Worthless People...?.

Bill Hunter

I read Worthless People and was completely enchanted by it, so much so that I could hardly put it down when I started reading.  I'm not much of a literary critic, but I thought it was excellent writing and the material smacked of authenticity.  I hope you will keep on writing.  You seem to have the gift, though how easy it is for you is hard to tell.  You would do a real service by continuing to gently surface issues missionaries don't like to discuss.  It might not offer you celebratory kudos from the missionary community but would help confirm what some of us, perhaps all too subliminally, thought were somewhat askew even when we were smack-dab in the middle of it all. 

John Benson

Just a note. I just finished reading your manuscript. It really kept my interest and I was not sure how it would end up. It had a lot of insight into the fact that we were never allowed to stay in East Africa. I often liken us missionary kids to Palestinian exiles. My wife thought that was a bit overblown, but I do have strong sense of being in exile since I have tried so hard to get back to the Africa over the years and never been able to do it, except for short periods of time. I think what you have written is very strong and beautifully written. You have brought out the thinking of many of us, but most importantly yourself, in a unique way.

James Roland, Senior Writer, RedFence Magazine

Tim Wilson spins old-time adventure stories laced with heart-breaking beauty and potent social commentary. The result: an exciting novel that's impossible to put down. Worthless People challenges every Western thought you've ever had about Africa; you cannot walk away unchanged. Fiction this good demands water cooler banter and book clubs that discuss it long into the night.

AK Bookworm  

If you are looking to see the world through a different set of eyes, this is a book for you. The struggles that the main character Dave must go through give the book a very mythical feel. What sets this book apart from others set in Africa is that it examines the diverse regions and cultures that make up this almost mystical continent in an extremely respectful White perspective. During a time when missionaries found Africa a popular destination, Dave and his friends illustrate what it was like growing up and attending school in more rural locations. The friends that Dave makes on this journey to adulthood provide important life lessons in a very legendary tone that shapes who he becomes and gives him a confidence that would otherwise have never blossomed.

Cecilia A. Choukalas

This is a fun, quick read. It interesting and informative since it is set in a different culture. It also causes you to think about relationships and how you affect other people. Add it to your library!

Deborah

I read your book twice, once for the plot…it’s a page-turner…and then to better understand it.  It is well written.  I love the hunting and tracking descriptions; I find them so fascinating.  I think you were balanced in showing the dark side of both the African and American cultures.

 Amy

I'm giving this story four stars because the characters are strong and real and I loved them - enough to cry for them at one point.  I love the length of this story. It's not a short story, but it can be read pretty quickly, which is great if you don't have time to get lost in the book world as often as you'd like to. I really wish there were more stories of this length.

Elizabeth

This book is a small work of art and contains in it all the things that make a story great. It made me think more deeply about my own relationships, culture, and the world at large.

No comments:

Post a Comment